On August 6, 2000, at 1400 mountain daylight time, a Cessna P210N, N3882P, registered to and operated by the pilot as a 14 CFR Part 91 instructional flight, ran off the end of the runway at Stanley, Idaho, and nosed over. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed. The aircraft was substantially damaged and the private pilot and the flight instructor received minor injuries. The flight last departed from Galena, Idaho, about fifteen minutes prior to the accident.

During a telephone interview, the pilot reported that she had been practicing short field full stop landings (4) in the area before approaching Stanley. The pilot stated that she first over flew the airstrip to determine the wind direction and then set-up for a landing "uphill" on runway 35 with a tailwind. The pilot reported that the approach was normal and the aircraft crossed over the threshold at 80 knots. The aircraft touched down within the first one-third of the airstrip. The pilot then applied braking action to slow the aircraft, however, there was no response. The flight instructor reported that he also applied his side brakes about 2/3 of the way down the runway as the ground speed was still high. At some point, the parking brake was also engaged. The aircraft subsequently ran off the end of the runway and collided with a wood post and fence. The aircraft then traveled down an embankment nosing over and coming to rest inverted.

The 1451, Stanley automated weather reported the wind was variable at five knots gusting to 15 knots. The pilot reported that at the time of the accident, the wind was from 220 degrees, with a velocity of eight to ten knots.

The Airguide Publications Flight Guide for the Stanley airport indicates that runway 17 has a 1.3% upslope, not runway 35, however, runway 35 is normally active. The runway surface is turf/dirt and was dry at the time of the accident.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector from the Boise, Idaho, Flight Standards District Office inspected the aircraft at Stanley on August 8, 2000. The aircraft was still at the end of the runway inverted at the time of the inspection. The inspector reported that approximately 330 feet of tire mark impressions were still visible from the end of the runway leading up to the wood post and fence. The aircraft then continued for another approximately 68 feet before nosing over and coming to rest inverted. The inspector reported that the left main landing gear was in the retracted position, while the nose gear and right main landing gear were extended. The parking brake was found in the locked (engaged position). The right main wheel was locked and would not rotate. The left main wheel rotated freely and stopped when the left brake was applied.

The aircraft was then recovered and transported (inverted) to Twin Falls, Idaho. After the aircraft was positioned right-side-up on its landing gear, and in the presences of the FAA inspector, maintenance personnel applied the brakes and found them inoperative. It was noted, however, that the brake fluid had drained from the system while the aircraft was inverted. Maintenance personnel then serviced the brakes with hydraulic fluid and found that the brakes were functional.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page