On March 24, 2000, at 1615 Eastern Standard Time, a Bellanca B17-30A, N146Q, was substantially damaged during landing roll-out on Runway 23 at the Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD), Shenandoah, Virginia. The certificated private pilot and the passenger were not injured. No flight plan was filed for the local flight conducted under 14 CFR 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed.

In a written statement, the pilot said:

"On final, I had a normal approach on glide slope. I performed the landing check approximately two to three times. Entered short final approximately 85-90 knots over the [runway] numbers 23, on center line. Landed slightly right of center line, and raised flaps. I felt the plane start moving to the left. I pushed right rudder to correct and started back to the right. We crossed the runway and entered the grass area, went over a hill, through two fences, and stopped on an embankment."

In a telephone conversation, the pilot stated that the passenger was a student pilot and was joining him to observe the flight. He stated that the student pilot did not manipulate the controls during the flight.

According to the passenger's written statement, she said:

"Everything was good. A good landing. After the landing, the plane seemed to pull to the left. We went over the embankment, through two fences, and the hill stopped us."

A witness, who was in his airplane preparing for takeoff, observed the Bellanca during the approach and landing roll-out. According to his written statement, he said:

"At approximately 1615, I was waiting to taxi onto Runway 23 at Shenandoah. I was watching and waiting for Bellanca N146Q to land and clear the runway. I remember thinking that the approach was looking fine, maybe a little long, but fine. I noticed the plane after landing veer slightly to the right, then turn sharply to the left and go over the embankment. That was the last I saw of the plane. I called Unicom, but they had already responded."

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector performed an on-site examination of the wreckage. According to the FAA inspector, the outer third section of the left wing was missing and the remaining portion of wing had impact damage to the leading edge. The right wing also exhibited leading edge damage. The right main landing gear torque link had failed, which allowed the wheel to turn 90 degrees.

Skid marks on the runway departed the runway to the left with the right main landing gear wheel leaving the darkest impression on the runway. The FAA inspector did not see a skid mark from the nose wheel and a faint skid mark was produced by the left main tire.

The nose wheel steering linkage right push rod was slightly bent due to impact, but was otherwise intact, and operated normally, producing full range with the rudder pedals. The rudder also moved full range. The nose wheel spun freely by hand, and the tire showed no evidence of side scrub. Both main wheels spun freely by hand, and both brakes operated and released normally. Both mains showed no flat spots, or any evidence of excessively hard braking or interruption of rotation. The tires were brand new and the tire mold flash could still be seen on the center tread area for the entire circumference.

According to the FAA inspector, the pilot stated that during the taxi prior to the flight, the aircraft responded and steered normally, requiring no unusual amount of power to taxi. The aircraft did not show a tendency to pull to either side. The pilot also stated the brakes were operating normally.

The FAA inspector's examination of the airplane revealed no mechanical deficiencies.

The pilot reported that he had landed the airplane approximately 16 times in the last 90 days. He also reported his total flight experience as 77 hours with 14 hours in make and model.

The winds at SHD were reported as calm.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page