On March 31, 2000, at 1011 central standard time, a Cessna 182P airplane, N6046J, was substantially damaged during a forced landing following a loss of engine power during takeoff climb from the Addison Airport, Addison, Texas. The private pilot, who was the sole occupant and owner of the airplane, received minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The local flight was originating at the time of the accident and was destined for the Dallas Air Park, north of Addison.

The pilot reported in the Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1/2), that "the engine started immediately and idled smoothly between 700 and 800 rpm," and no anomalies were noted during the engine runup. During takeoff from runway 15, the airplane "accelerated and climbed normally." Approximately 400 feet agl, the pilot "decided to lower the nose and take out the flaps (10 degrees)." While reaching for the flap lever, "the engine went from the roar of full power to what seemed a 'pfffft' sound. There was no loud bang, cough, or sputter. The engine simply quit running instantly and without prior warning." The pilot stated that he lowered the nose of the airplane, and applied full flaps in an attempt to land back on the remaining runway. He added that the airplane touched down hard. During the landing roll, the pilot applied "maximum braking;" however, the airplane overran the departure end of the runway. The nose landing gear sank in the soft mud and collapsed. Subsequently, the airplane nosed down and came to rest on its nose.

The FAA inspector, who responded to the accident site, stated that the right wing and fuselage were structurally damaged. The nose landing gear was separated from the airframe, the engine cowling was destroyed, and the propeller blades were bent aft.

According to the engine maintenance records, the Continental O-470-51B engine (serial number 269149R) received an annual inspection on February 24, 2000, at 511.0 hours total time. At the time of the accident, the engine and airframe had accumulated 512.0 and 2,532 hours total time, respectively.

On April 25, 2000, the NTSB investigator-in-charge, the FAA inspector, and a representative from the engine manufacturer examined the airframe and engine. The throttle, mixture, and propeller governor controls were free and continuity was established. The carburetor heat control was separated, but the control was free to move. The gascolator screen and bowl were clean. The fuel selector was found in the "OFF" position. With the fuel selector in the "OFF" position, the carburetor bowl plug was removed, and fuel drained from the bowl. The fuel selector was turned to the "ON" position, and fuel drained freely from the bowl. The spark plugs were removed and the crankshaft rotated by hand. "Good" hand compression was noted on all six cylinders. The left magneto was timed at 22 degrees before top dead center, and the right was timed at 21 degrees before top dead center. Both magnetos sparked at all terminals when rotated by hand. The magnetos were disassembled and no anomalies were noted that would have prevented their operation. The oil filter element was clean with no evidence of metal deposits. No anomalies were noted during the engine examination, and there was no evidence of pre-impact failure to the airframe.

On April 26, 2000, the carburetor was examined and disassembled at Aircraft Fuel Injection Services near Dallas, TX. The FAA inspector stated that no anomalies were noted with the carburetor during the examination that would have prevented its operation.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page