On March 25, 2000, at 1730 central standard time, an Aeronca 11AC, N9570E, and an EAA Biplane P2, N51933, collided on runway 15 at Sherman AFB, Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. N9570E was being operated by a commercial pilot, who along with his passenger were not injured. N51933 was operated by a private pilot who was not injured. Both airplanes received substantial damage. Both airplanes were being operated under 14 CFR Part 91 in visual meteorological conditions without flight plans. N9570E had originally departed from Platte City, Missouri, at 1700 cst and was practicing touch and go landings at Sherman AFB. N51933 departed from St. Joseph, Missouri, around 1650 cst and was landing at Sherman AFB.

The pilot of N9570E reported that he was practicing touch and go landings and was on the 4th or 5th landing when the accident occurred. He reported he had touched down and was in the process of transitioning for takeoff when the rear of his airplane was struck by N51933. He reported the airplanes were approximately 1,500 feet from the approach end of the runway when the accident occurred.

The pilot of N51933 reported that he made a radio call on 126.2 when he was about 3 miles north-northeast of the airport. He reported the radio call was answered by another aircraft in the area. This aircraft informed him that runway 15 was the active runway at Sherman AFB, and that there was possibly another airplane making touch and go landings at the airport. The pilot reported he entered a left base for runway 15 at which time he made another radio call reporting his position. According to the pilot of N51933, he looked down the runway and did not see any other airplanes. He reported he turned onto final approach, made another radio call, and looked for traffic again without seeing any. The pilot of N51933 continued to report he set up for the landing, looking out the right side of the open cockpit to maintain runway alignment. He reported the airplane bounced during the landing then settled back to the runway after which time he applied light braking and pulled the throttle to idle. He reported, "Maybe about 50' later I glanced towards [the] left side saw the yellow tail of the Aeronca. I immediately gave 933 Rt. rudder and brake, it was too late, contact was made in seconds, my left lower wing rode over his Rt. horizontal stabilizer and my left wing struck his right wing." He reported that his propeller also contacted the right wing of N9570E. He estimated that his speed was about 35 miles per hour when the contact occurred.

N9570E was not equipped with a radio. Both airplanes were tailwheel equipped. The pilot of N51933 recommended that the accident may have been prevented had he not made a short final approach and if he had entered the traffic pattern on downwind instead of on a base leg.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page