On January 26, 2000, at 1100 central standard time, a Cessna 414 twin-engine airplane, N7VS, was substantially damaged when it impacted terrain during takeoff at the Downtown Airpark Airport near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The aircraft was registered to Malibu Boats West, Inc., of Merced, California, and operated by a private individual. The commercial pilot and pilot rated passenger sustained minor injuries. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed, and an IFR flight plan was filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 positioning flight. The cross-country flight to El Paso, Texas, was originating at the time of the accident.

The pilot reported that light snow was falling, with approximately 2 inches on the ground, and the runway had been plowed at 1000, for another aircraft departure. About 1015, the pilot filed a flight plan and received a weather briefing. After completing a preflight of the airplane in the hangar, he had the airplane towed to the midfield taxiway. At 1045, the aircraft's engines were started. The pilot was unable to contact approach control and clearance delivery to obtain an IFR clearance, and after about 5-6 minutes, he sent his passenger to the FBO to get the telephone number for clearance delivery. The passenger returned to the aircraft with the telephone number, and the pilot called clearance delivery on his cellular phone. After obtaining an IFR clearance and release time, the pilot completed run-up and preflight checks. The pilot back taxied the airplane to the departure end of runway 16 for takeoff.

About 20 minutes had elapsed since the airplane had been towed from the "68 degree F" hangar. During the takeoff, the airplane accelerated "normally" and became airborne after traveling about 2,160 feet down the 3,240-foot runway. After liftoff, the airplane did not climb above 25 or 30 feet agl. Airspeed began to deteriorate and the landing gear and flaps were raised; however, "airspeed continued to degrade to just above stall speed." The airplane impacted an embankment at the end of the runway, continued across railroad tracks, through a fence, and came to a stop in a brick storage yard about 800-1,000 feet from the departure end of the runway.

The pilot stated that someone told him that the airport did not have any deicing equipment, therefore, he did not deice the airplane.

Examination of the aircraft by FAA inspectors revealed that the left wing was separated from the fuselage, and the fuselage and right wing were bent.

At 1053, the weather observation facility at the Will Rogers World Airport, located 5 miles southwest of the accident site, reported in part, wind 100 degrees at 7 knots, visibility 1/2 mile with snow and freezing fog, temperature 27 degrees F, dew point 25 degrees F, and altimeter 30.07 inches of mercury.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page