On October 23, 1999, at 1250 central daylight time, a Cessna TU206A airplane, N4807F, was substantially damaged when it landed hard during a forced landing following a loss of engine power while in the traffic pattern at the Le Maire Airport, Jeanerette, Louisiana. The airplane was owned by a private individual and operated by Skydive Acadiana. The commercial pilot, sole occupant, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 local flight. The flight carrying parachutists originated from the Le Maire Airport approximately 1220.

According to the skydive operator, the airplane was descending after the pilot released the jumpers. During the descent through 4,000 feet msl, the engine lost power. The operator stated that the pilot adjusted the mixture and the engine restarted. While the airplane was on downwind, the engine lost power again. The pilot made a forced landing toward the runway. The plane touched down hard and short of the runway. The nose landing gear collapsed and the fuselage buckled.

In the enclosed Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1/2), the pilot stated that the airplane climbed to 12,500 feet with "no problems." He reported that he had the left fuel tank selected with 15 gallons of fuel in the tank. He added that he reduced the manifold pressure to 17 inches for the descent, deployed the speed brakes and closed the cowl flaps. While descending through 6,000 feet msl, the pilot "heard a loss of power." The pilot stated that he switched the fuel selector to the right fuel tank, and then returned the selector to the left fuel tank. He applied full rich mixture and regained power. He left the mixture at full rich for the rest of the descent; however, at 600 feet, while turning from downwind to base, the engine again lost power. The pilot turned the airplane toward the runway, and applied back elevator pressure to clear a ditch at the approach end of the runway. He stated that the airspeed was indicating "65-70 knots", but he "[did not have any] elevator control," and the airplane "nosed in and bounced about 50 feet," coming to rest nose down.

According to the FAA inspector, who visited the accident site, fuel was found in the lines to the engine. There was an undetermined "small quantity" of fuel in the wing tanks. Engine control continuity was confirmed from the cockpit to the engine. The throttle, propeller, and mixture controls were found in the full forward position.

According to a mechanic, who test ran the engine following the accident, the left fuel tank contained 10 gallons of fuel and the right fuel tank contained 13 gallons of fuel. The mechanic stated that he started and test ran the engine on the airplane. He ran the engine through all parameters for 25 minutes and found no anomalies.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page