On August 24, 1999, at 1406 Eastern Daylight Time, a Morrisey 2150A, N312BW, was substantially damaged during a forced landing to a field near Ellisburg, New York. The certificated private pilot was seriously injured, and the passenger received minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. No flight plan was filed for the local flight, which originated from Drake Airfield, Adams, New York. The personal flight was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to the passenger, who was also the pilot's son, the passenger conducted the preflight inspection of the airplane. He stated that when he checked all three fuel tanks, they were absent of water and contaminants. He also checked all leading edges, rudders, flaps and ailerons. The pilot later performed a successful engine check, and afterwards, about 1335, they departed and headed out over Lake Ontario. En route, the pilot climbed the airplane to an unspecified altitude, then descended to 1,100 feet. Once at that altitude, the pilot attempted to increase power three times, and on the third attempt, the engine stalled.

In an interview with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Inspectors, the pilot stated that he thought he had encountered carburetor icing, but that he had applied carburetor heat prior to the descent. He also stated that he recycled the heat when the engine lost power, then headed for a field. He left the flaps up during the descent, because he thought they would produce too much drag. The airplane reached the field, then dropped quickly, and impacted the ground in an upright position.

The FAA Inspector said that the landing gear mounts were driven up through the wings, and that the airplane came to rest about 2/3 into a 600-yard by 250-yard field.

Watertown International Airport (ART) was about 17 nautical miles north of the accident site. Weather recorded at 1350 included winds from 160 degrees magnetic at 8 knots, a temperature of 31 degrees Celsius, and a dewpoint of 11 degrees Celsius. An icing probability chart for those conditions indicated a probability of light icing - glide and cruise power.

Although Watertown International Airport was the closest recording station to the accident, it was located inland, about 3 nautical miles from any large bodies of water. When the temperature and dewpoint were recorded there, the winds were coming from over the land.

About 35 nautical miles to the northwest of the accident site was Kingston Airport (YGK), Kingston, Ontario. At 1400, winds there were recorded as being similar to Watertown's, from 160 degrees magnetic, at 6 knots. However, unlike Watertown, winds at Kingston had passed over the lake before reaching the recording station. Temperature and dewpoint results were different from those at Watertown, being recorded as 26 degrees Celsius, and 18 degrees Celsius, respectively. Using that data, an icing probability chart indicated a probability of moderate icing - cruise power, or serious icing - glide power.

The pilot did not respond to requests for information. The pilot's latest third class medical certificate was issued on August 18, 1982. At that time, the pilot stated that he had 334 hours of flight time. The airplane was registered to the pilot on May 13, 1992.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page