On August 23, 1999, at 0850 central daylight time, a Cessna 150K airplane, N6015G, and a Harris Glastar-1 amateur-built airplane, N524MF, collided while taxiing at the Springdale Municipal Airport, Springdale, Arkansas. The Cessna 150K and the Harris Glastar-I were owned and operated by private individuals. The commercial pilot of the Cessna 150K, and the airline transport rated pilot of the Glastar-I and his passenger, were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the proposed 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flights and neither of the pilots had filed a flight plan. Both of the airplanes were taxiing for takeoff at the time of the accident.

According to the pilot of the Cessna 150K, he made the following announcement over the airport's common traffic advisory frequency (118.2), "Cessna 6015G taxiing to 18 Springdale; any other traffic please advise." One pilot responded that he was in the traffic pattern entering a left base for runway 18. The pilot of the Cessna 150 exited the south end of the aircraft storage area (south of the control tower, which was not manned at the time of the accident) and turned northbound onto the west taxiway, which parallels runway 18/36. He stated that the airplane was traveling at a "fast walk pace," and there were airplanes parked on the aircraft ramp to the left of the taxiway. As he approached the taxiway entrance point from the aircraft ramp area, he looked to the left at the entrance point and did not observe any traffic. He then looked north along the taxiway and noted another airplane approximately 1/4 mile ahead also taxiing toward runway 18. The pilot reported that he "was almost past the entrance when something grabbed the left wing of [his] airplane." The left wing of the Cessna 150 contacted the windshield of the Glastar-1. The Cessna 150 turned 90 degrees to the left and came to a stop upright. He added that the passenger in the Glastar-1 stated after the accident that, "we had our heads down putting on our headphones."

According to the pilot of the Glastar-1, he and the passenger (who was the owner of the airplane), had prepared for a local flight to calibrate the airplane's EGT/CHT gauge. He stated that both he and his passenger had their headsets on before he started to taxi the airplane. The pilot reported that he stated on the airport's common traffic advisory frequency (118.2), that he "would be taxing to runway 18 soon." The pilot then taxied the airplane across the aircraft ramp toward the west taxiway. He stated that there was a "row of airplanes tied down in a north/south row that was ahead of us and to our right that blocked some of our view of the taxiway." As the airplane approached the taxiway "slowly," he did not observe any traffic on the taxiway. He initiated a left turn onto the taxiway and simultaneously, the propeller of the Glastar-1 and the wing of the Cessna 150 contacted each other. The pilot added that he "did not race to the taxiway" and was not in a rush.

An FAA inspector examined both airplanes. He reported that the Cessna 150K sustained structural damage to the left wing. The Glastar-1 sustained damage to the propeller and the front windscreen.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page