On July 6, 1999, at 1450, eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150, N22600, was substantially damaged during a forced landing near Woodstock, Virginia. The certificated private pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight that originated from Republic Airport, Farmingdale, New York, destined for Sky Bryce Airport, Basye, Virginia. No flight plan was filed, and the flight was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to the pilot he arrived at the airport about 1030, and preflighted the airplane. During the preflight, he visually checked the right-wing's fuel tank. It was full. He chose not to check the left-wing's fuel tank because both the left and right fuel gauges indicated full. He drained the fuel sumps, and the fuel samples were free of contaminants. Comfortable with the airplane's condition, the pilot boarded, and started the engine on the first attempt. He taxied short of runway 14, then checked the carburetor heat and ignition system. He noticed no anomalies.

After being cleared for takeoff, the pilot taxied onto runway 14, advanced the throttle, and the engine responded. The airplane became airborne, and the pilot executed a right turn to an initial heading of 220 degrees magnetic. While on course, the pilot climbed the airplane to a cruise altitude of 1,500 feet msl. He selected 1,500 feet msl for an initial cruise altitude to avoid class "B" airspace in the New York area. During the en route portion of the flight, the pilot varied his cruise altitude between 1,500 feet msl, and 4,500 feet msl. In addition, he used a cruise power setting of 75 percent.

The pilot also stated that he was 5 minutes from his destination at 2,500 feet agl, when engine power became intermittent, followed by a total loss power. The pilot added, "my first reaction was to rock the airplane's wings because I knew I was low on fuel." The pilot also checked the fuel gauges, and observed approximately one-eighth on both tanks. He also observed movement on the gauges when the airplane's wings were rocked.

The pilot identified an open field, and positioned the airplane on downwind. He then turned base, and then final. While on final, and approximately 50 feet agl, the pilot realized the airplane was not going to make the intended touch down point. While traveling approximately 35 mph, the airplane contacted the top of a wire fence shearing off the nose wheel, and then the empennage of the airplane. The airplane nosed over, and the pilot egressed without injury.

According to the pilot, he was airborne for approximately 3 hours 30 minutes. He planned the flight to take 3 hours 20 minutes, using a power setting of 75 percent. At that power setting, the airplane had approximately 4 hours and 10 minutes of fuel endurance.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration Inspector, there was 1.75 gallons of fuel found onboard the airplane, and no evidence of fuel spillage at the accident site was observed.

The pilot's operator handbook (POH) stated that at 7,500 feet and 74 percent power, the airplane would have 4.1 hours of fuel endurance. In addition, the POH list unusable fuel as 3.5 gallons.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page