On July 6, 1999, about 1516 Alaska daylight time, a wheel equipped Cessna 177RG airplane, N45367, sustained substantial damage during a gear-up landing at the Fairbanks International Airport, Fairbanks, Alaska. The airplane was being operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) local area personal flight when the accident occurred. The airplane was operated by the pilot. The certificated private pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC), on July 7, 1999, the pilot reported he was conducting several touch and go landings on runway 19L. On the fourth landing, he said he did not extend the landing gear, and the airplane slid on its belly along the runway.

In the Pilot/Operator report (NTSB form 6120.1/2) filed by the pilot, he indicated that during the last approach to landing, he was operating the engine about 2,000 rpm, to provide better control to compensate for the existing crosswind. He said the landing gear retracted warning horn operates below 1,700 rpm. He said he was distracted from his normal procedures when the Fairbanks Tower controller asked him to continue the downwind portion of the landing approach.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airworthiness inspector, Fairbanks Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), inspected the airplane on July 7, 1999. The inspection revealed damage to the propeller, and fuselage skin damage from the aft edge of the nose wheel well, to the main gear attach points.

At 1453, an Aviation Routine Weather Report (METAR) at the Fairbanks Airport was reporting in part: Wind, 253 degrees at 18 knots, gusts to 22 knots; visibility, 10 statute miles; clouds and sky condition, few at 5,000 feet, 7,500 feet scattered, 11,000 feet scattered, 20,000 feet broken; temperature, 75 degrees F; dew point, 56 degrees F; altimeter, 29.86 inHg.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page