On May 16, 1999, at 1100 central daylight time, a Cessna A188B, N9275R, piloted by a commercial pilot, sustained substantial damage after an on-ground collision with a stone fence post that was off the departure end of runway 33 (2,700 feet by 370 feet, wet/grass) at the Lincoln Municipal Airport, Lincoln, Kansas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The aerial application flight was operating under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 137 and was not on a flight plan. The pilot reported no injuries. The local flight was originating at the time of the accident.

According to the pilot's written statement, while he was on the takeoff roll he realized that the airplane, "...might not fly." The pilot reported that he dumped his chemical load and the aircraft began to liftoff. The pilot stated that as the aircraft began to depart the runway surface it struck a stone fence post at the end of the runway with the right main gear. The pilot reported that he then reduced the power, touched down in a pasture, and skidded to a stop.

The pilot reported the condition of the grass runway was soft and wet with the height of the grass approximated at 6 inches. The pilot reported that the humidity was "High" and that there was "Light Fog" at the time of the accident. A weather observation station, located 29 nautical miles to the southeast of the accident site, reported winds at 200-degrees magnetic at 18 knots, temperature 79-degrees Fahrenheit, and a dew point of 68-degrees Fahrenheit.

The pilot reported that the airplane was loaded with 54 gallons of fuel and 135 gallons of agricultural chemical. According to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector statement, the aircraft was found to be within the manufacture's maximum allowable gross weight limitations.

During a Federal Aviation Administration inspection of the wreckage, it was discovered that the pressure fuel line was leaking fuel through the braiding approximately 6 inches from its end. The plastic protective sleeve surrounding the braided line was found to be stained. The pressure fuel line had been in service for an estimated period of 1,000 flight hours over a period of 5 years.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page