On November 19, 1993, at 1123 hours Pacific standard time, a Cessna 152, N5312L, lost control, exited runway 25L, and collided with a ground vehicle and hangar at Compton Airport, Compton, California. The noncertificated student pilot was completing the first landing of his first supervised solo flight. The airplane, registered to and operated by Consolidated Aviation, dba Compton Aviation, sustained substantial damage. The student pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. The flight originated as a dual instructional flight at 1045 hours.

The student pilot's flight instructor (CFI) told National Transportation Safety Board investigators that he was standing in front of Compton Aviation's office facilities observing the student's takeoff and landing. The flight instructor had flown with the student about a half hour before allowing the student to solo. The instruction preceding the accident consisted of seven (7) full-stop takeoffs and landings. During this time, the CFI reported that the student's takeoffs and landings were better than average.

The CFI said that the student's takeoff and traffic pattern was normal. While on final approach, the airplane's airspeed, however, was "...slightly fast...." The student flared the airplane at its normal flare altitude and the airplane landed on its main wheels first, followed by the nose wheel. The airplane touched down about 300 feet beyond the runway threshold (about 1,300 feet beyond the approach end of the runway), and bounced no more than one foot. Other taxiing airplanes blocked his view so he did not see the landing roll-out. Moments later, he observed several people running toward the hangars south of the runway.

The student pilot told Safety Board investigators, with the assistance of an interpreter, that his final approach speed was above 60 knots. The airplane bounced on touch down and he panicked and, inadvertently, depressed the left brake. The airplane exited the runway to the left, crossed the dirt area, and entered the taxiway and parking apron. The airplane's left wing struck a parked motorhome, turned left 180 degrees, and the right wing simultaneously struck a hangar and nosed into the ground.

The student pilot also said that the airplane did not experience any mechanical malfunctions or failures.

Safety Board investigators examined the student pilot's flight hours logbook. The logbook showed that as of the accident flight the student had accrued 17.9 hours of dual instruction. All of the flights were flown in the accident airplane make and model. The CFI had endorsed the student pilot's certificate and flight logbook according to current applicable federal air regulations.

Safety Board investigators examined the wreckage on November 19, 1993. The wreckage examination revealed that both wings outer panels sustained extensive rearward crushing. The rear spar, at its wing-to-fuselage attach fittings, was also damaged. Both wing flaps were found fully extended.

The cockpit wing flap control lever was found in the 30-degrees (full down) position. The carburetor heat control was selected to on position.

Safety Board investigators conducted a visual examination and an operational check of the brake system. Both brakes operated normally and their respective brake pads/rotor disks exhibited normal wear patterns.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page