On Saturday, November 13, 1993, at 1217 hours eastern standard time, a Cessna 152, N46897, operated by Metro Aviation located at the Mac Arthur Airport, Long Island, New York, and piloted by Igor Videgain of Brooklyn, New York, lost total engine power and was ditched in the Long Island Sound near Riverhead, New York. The pilot and sole passenger were not injured. The cross country flight departed Marston Mills, Massachusetts, and was destined for the Mac Arthur Airport. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident and no flight plan was on file for the cross country flight. The flight was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

The pilot stated on his accident report form that he departed the Mac Arthur Airport on November 12, 1993, at 1325 hours and landed at the Marston Mills Airport at 1445 hours. He stated that he stayed the night on Cape Cod and then departed Marston Mills Airport on November 13, 1993, at 1035 hours, for the Mac Arthur Airport.

The pilot stated that while being vectored over the Long Island Sound to the Mac Arthur Airport by the New York Air Traffic Approach Control controller, the airplane's engine lost total power. The pilot stated that efforts to restart the engine failed and he trimmed the "...A/C for best glide speed (60 KTS), and prepared for possible water ditching." He stated that he tried to glide the airplane to the Calverton Airport but did not have enough airspeed or altitude to make it. The pilot stated that he prepared his passenger for a water ditching and then ditched the airplane in the Long Island Sound. He stated that he and the passenger exited the airplane and swam to shore with the assistance of three people who witnessed the accident.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration Safety Inspector, the airplane was retrieved from the water and brought to East Way Aviation at the Mac Arthur Airport. Examination of the airplane revealed that there was about one gallon of fuel in the left wing fuel tank and the right wing fuel tank contained only water. The gascolator contained water. No airframe anomalies were noted.

Under the supervision of the FAA, a mechanic from East Way Aviation changed the airplane's engine oil and allowed the magnetos to dry. The engine was started and ran without any anomalies noted.

According to Metro Aviation's fuel records, the airplane was "topped off" at an airplane hour reading of 4442.9, and was checked out by the pilot. After the accident, the airplane's hour reading was 4446.3. The airplane was flown about 3.4 hours since it was last refueled.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page