On Tuesday, August 31, 1993, at 1330 eastern daylight time, a Beech BE-19, N24685, registered to K. R. Robinson, Inc., and piloted by Kendall A. Knox, sustained substantial damage during an attempted takeoff from the Lakes Regional Airport, Wolfboro, New Hampshire. The pilot and passenger were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed. The flight was being conducted under 14 CFR 91.

The pilot initiated a takeoff on runway 30. In his report, the pilot stated:

The aircraft accelerated to 45 mph and the nose- wheel came off the runway. The A/C continued to accelerate to 60 mph and the main gear came off the runway. The elevator was relaxed slightly in an attempt to accelerate in ground effect and avoid an imminent stall...however the aircraft settled back down onto the runway. The airspeed was between 55-60 mph and the A/C came off the runway again, but only briefly and again settled down failing to climb. At this point the A/C left the paved runway...through...piles of dirt...

Mr. Thomas C. Schultz, Aviation Safety Inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration (Airworthiness), conducted an examination of the wreckage and an interview with the pilot. In his report, Mr. Schultz stated:

The pilot stated that the run-up and power check were normal. When he attempted to take off...he lifted the nose at 45 MPH The aircraft lifted then settled back to the runway. He lowered the nose and accelerated to about 60 MPH, and lifted the nose again and the aircraft lifted then settled back again. ...the aircraft departed the end of the runway, hit some piles of dirt.

His report continued:

When asked if the nose high attitude was higher than usual he said YES. When asked if the aircraft just mushed forward down and off the end of the runway, he again said YES...

Mr. Schultz's report also stated:

On [October 1, 1993] an engine run was accomplished on the above engine while still attached to the fuselage....The engine was started with no difficulty.. ..No malfunction was found that could have caused the accident.

The pilot reported that his total flight time within the 90 days prior to the accident was 1.5 hours.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page