On May 21, 1993, at 1728 hours eastern daylight time, a Ryan Navion airplane, N4467K, registered to Robert G. Giacobone, Lincoln, Rhode Island, was substantially damaged during a forced landing in a field near Cumberland, Rhode Island. The pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed. The personal flight departed from Mansfield, Massachusetts, and was conducted under 14 CFR 91.

According to the pilot;

"On May 21, 1993, at approximately 1530 I flew 30 minutes in SFZ [North Central State Airport] pattern then headed to Mansfield Airport and flew in pattern . . . until 1 hour of total time of flight had elapsed. I landed at Mansfield and taxied to Casey Aviation where Jim Casey inspected engine. I let engine cool, then Jim cleaned engine and compartment. I then took off from Mansfield and headed toward SFZ. Enroute to SFZ my engine quit. I tried to restart, but it did not. With engine windmilling, I started to look for a field to put it. I was deciding between RT 295 or a field in Cumberland, RI. I decided to land in a small field approximately 1000 feet long. I touched down fine, but [while] rolling out on the tall grass I hit a hole, collapsing my nose gear."

An examination of the wreckage conducted by FAA inspectors revealed that the nose gear of the airplane had separated. The firewall and one wing also received damage. Approximately three gallons of fuel had been removed form the tanks. The fuel was inspected and "no substantial contamination was discovered." All of the fuel lines were drained and inspected; no indication of blockage or contamination was found. According to the FAA inspectors' report, "Fuel receipts and logbook records provided by the pilot indicated that there was sufficient fuel in the aircraft tanks to sustain engine operation."

A review of the airplane maintenance logbooks reveal that an overhauled carburetor and six overhauled cylinders were installed on the engine three days prior to the accident. The engine was ground run on this day with no reported malfunctions. According to the pilot, this action was taken after the no. 2 cylinder exhaust valve was found to be "stuck" during an engine run up on March 26, 1993.

The engine was removed from the airplane after the accident and test run under FAA supervision. According to the FAA inspectors' report, "the engine operation was normal, no problems were encountered."

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page