On August 23, 1998, at 1302 central daylight time, a Cessna 152 airplane, N757KA, was substantially damaged during a forced landing following the loss of engine power while in cruise flight near Garland, Texas. The solo student pilot was not injured. The airplane was owned and operated by Addison Air Training, Inc., of Addison, Texas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed throughout the area for the Title 14 CFR Part 91 cross country flight for which a VFR flight plan was filed. The second leg of the instructional flight originated from the Tyler Pounds Field (TYR) at approximately 1210.

The 32 hour student pilot reported to the FAA inspector who responded to the accident site that he was in cruise flight at 2,500 feet MSL on his first solo cross country flight when without warning, the engine RPM dropped to 1,500 RPM. The pilot added that he established a glide into the prevailing wind for a forced landing to a nearby open field located 12 miles southeast of the Addison Airport (ADS), the flight's destination.

The pilot further stated that prior to turning base leg, he declared an emergency on 121.5 giving his approximate position. The pilot stated that he elected "not to extend the flaps over 10 degrees to make sure the airplane would clear the power lines at the north end of the field."

During the landing roll in rough and uneven terrain, the nose landing gear assembly was displaced aft. Additionally, the top of the left wing sustained structural damage. A Dallas Police Department helicopter received both the mayday call and the ELT signal from the airplane and responded to the accident site.

The pilot reported to the NTSB investigator-in-charge that the flight was uneventful with the exception that he noticed that the attitude indicator tumbled about 5 minutes prior to the loss of engine power.

The FAA inspector examined the aircraft and engine. His preliminary inspection revealed that the engine had not seized and confirmed that fuel was available from both wing tanks. The inspector also confirmed engine control continuity from the throttle quadrant to the engine. No evidence of preexisting anomalies were found at the accident site.

The aircraft was recovered to a secured location and the engine was again examined. No deficiencies could be found. The NTSB elected to have the propeller blade replaced with a serviceable propeller to attempt to run the engine. On October 16, 1998, the engine was started and ran under the supervision of an FAA inspector. The engine was successfully ran trough all engine rpm ranges, and no defects were noted that would have prevented normal engine operation.

The reason for the loss of engine power could not be determined. Despite repeated attempts, a completed NTSB Form 6120.1/2, was never received from either the pilot nor the operator of the airplane.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page