On July 4, 1998, approximately 1115 eastern daylight time, a Champion 7GCB, N9985Y, was substantially damaged when it impacted the water after takeoff from a creek near Neavitt, Maryland. The certificated private pilot and passenger sustained minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan had been filed for the personal flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 91

The pilot stated that he departed the South River by Annapolis, Maryland, and flew across the bay to Neavitt. He added, the landing on Leadenham Creek near Mulbery Point, Maryland, was normal, and that he observed no problems with the airplane during the flight or landing.

According to the pilot, after landing, he water taxied the airplane back to approximately the touchdown point before starting his takeoff run. The pilot said the airplane felt normal as it accelerated to takeoff speed, and became airborne about 60 mph. When the airplane broke the water it pulled to the right. The pilot said he thought this was normal because on most water departures one float will come off the water first causing a slight turn in the opposite direction. However, in this case the turn to the right continued. The pilot tried to stop the turn with left stick, and left rudder but found them ineffective. The airplane then stuck the water right float and right wing first, flipped over, and came to rest inverted. Both the pilot and passenger had life-vest on, and exited the airplane from underwater.

A witness reported, "The wind was calm, very, very, calm. There was not a breath of fresh air."

In a telephone memorandum for record, a Federal Aviation Administration Inspector stated that flight control continuity was established for both the elevator and rudder. Flight control continuity was also established for the ailerons, but the right aileron was damage requiring its connecting rod to be removed. The Inspector also stated that the floats showed "minimal corrosion" and that all the chambers in the floats looked "good."

The pilot stated that he had approximately 30 hours of float plane experience at the time of the accident, and he received his seaplane rating about July 1993.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page