On July 25, 1998, about 1050 central daylight time, a Piper PA-28-161 airplane, N30117, registered to MVP Aviation, Inc., and operated by MVP Aero Academy of Houston, Texas, was substantially damaged following a loss of engine power while landing at the Rockwall Municipal Airport, Rockwall, Texas. The commercial pilot was not injured, and her passenger received minor injuries. The personal flight was being operated under Title 14 CFR Part 91, and no flight plan was filed. The flight originated at the Weiser Airpark Airport, Houston, Texas, about 0900, and visual meteorological conditions prevailed.

The pilot reported to the NTSB Investigator-In-Charge (IIC) that after arriving at the Rockwall Airport, she entered left downwind for runway 16 at 1,500 feet agl. After reducing the throttle to 1,700 rpm and as she was about to perform the pre-landing checklist, the "engine completely quit." Full throttle was applied and the mixture was placed to the full rich position "but nothing happened." The pilot further reported that she immediately turned towards the runway and switched the fuel selector to the right fuel tank position. She added that she was trying to align the aircraft with the runway; however, the aircraft touched down "at about a 10 degree angle" to the approach end of runway 16. The aircraft continued to the right of the runway onto a down-sloped grassy area. During the landing roll the aircraft hit an elevated taxiway causing the airplane to "pull around to the left" and stop in the grass on the opposite side of the taxiway in the upright position facing the runway.

The 569 hour pilot also reported that during preflight she observed that "each fuel tank was at the tab (fuel touching tabs) which is 17 gallons giving a total of 34 gallons with approximately 2 gallons unusable." She stated that "the Warrior usually uses about 9 gallons per hour, but [she] used 10 for planning purposes." The pilot also stated that "all taxi and climb out time was done on the right tank." She used the "left tank for 1 hour and 10 minutes total at cruise."

Examination of the airplane by an FAA inspector revealed that the nose gear was separated from the aircraft, the left main landing gear was shoved up into the wing, and the engine mount was damaged. Examination of the fuel system revealed that the left fuel tank was empty, and the right fuel tank was approximately half-full. The Rockwall Airport manager reported that he moved the fuel selector from the left tank position to the off position.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page