On June 28, 1998, at 1430 central daylight time, a Commonwealth 185, NC92997, piloted by a student pilot, sustained substantial damage when it impacted the terrain during a forced landing following a loss of engine power during takeoff from runway 36 (2000' x 30', wet, grass) at a private airstrip near Oregon, Wisconsin. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight was not operating on a flight plan. The pilot reported minor injuries. The local flight was originating at the time of the accident.

In a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector's statement, the inspector stated that he had interviewed the pilot, subsequent to the accident, and the pilot stated that he had no recollection of the events surrounding the accident. The pilot had sustained, as a result of the accident, a closed head trauma just above his right eye and bridge of nose.

The FAA inspector stated, in his written statement, that the aircraft's engine lost power soon after takeoff from the private airstrip. The inspector stated that the aircraft was found 300 yards from the end of the airstrip.

Post accident investigation showed that the aircraft was using auto-gas. There was no Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) found to be issued by the FAA for the use of auto-gas in the above stated aircraft. Approximately 1/4 cup of oil was drained from the number two cylinder. The lower spark plug of the number two cylinder was oil fouled. The number one cylinder upper spark plug lead fell apart when removed from the cylinder. The right magneto did not produce a spark when a functional test was conducted. In a statement to a Dane County Sheriff's Office deputy, the pilot stated that on the day of the accident he had noticed that the carburetor of his aircraft was running "Over." The pilot stated that he readjusted the carburetor to specifications. According to a FAA inspector statement, the most recent annual inspection was completed on October 10, 1996.

The FAA inspector stated in a phone conversation, with the investigator-in-charge (IIC), that the last 90-day student solo sign off was in October of 1997. According to the pilot's written statement there was no record of flying for at least 90 days prior to the date of the accident.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page