On February 20, 1998, at 1506 central standard time, a Cessna 152 airplane, registered to Christiansen Aviation, Inc. DBA, and operated by Airman Flight School of Norman, Oklahoma, was substantially damaged during a forced landing following a loss of engine power near Norman, Oklahoma. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a VFR flight plan was filed for the Title 14 CFR Part 91 solo cross country flight. The student pilot was not injured. The flight originated from the University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport, Norman, Oklahoma, about 3 hours prior to the accident.

During a telephone interview conducted by the NTSB investigator-in-charge, the pilot reported that prior to preflighting the airplane he called for the fuel truck. During his preflight, he visually checked the fuel level. The fuel truck arrived and the service person added one quart of oil to the engine. While he was in the airplane, the service person was on the ladder supposedly fueling the airplane. The service person got down from the ladder and told him the "fuel was fine." The student pilot did not verify the fuel level.

The 76 hour student pilot further reported that he departed Norman at about 1205, on a solo cross country flight to Gainesville, Texas. He did not land when he arrived at Gainesville. He also reported that he executed a 360 degree turn and returned to Norman. After arriving back at the University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport, he entered traffic for touch and go landings. On the second takeoff climb, at about 1,400 or 1,500 feet msl, the engine lost power. He initiated a forced landing; however, due to traffic to his front, he turned right and landed on a road near its end. During the landing roll on the road, the nose landing gear struck a curb and separated from the fuselage.

The operator reported that the aircraft had been fueled two days before the accident. Prior to the accident flight, the aircraft had been flown only one hour since being fueled. The operator further reported that there was no record of the airplane being fueled the day of the accident, only that one quart of oil was added to the airplane's engine.

Examination of the airplane by the FAA inspector revealed that the nose landing gear was separated, the firewall buckled, an engine mount fractured, and the propeller had sustained damage. Examination of the fuel system revealed that it had not been compromised, and there was no usable fuel in either fuel tank. Both fuel gauges indicated zero. Five gallons of fuel was added to one of the fuel tanks and its corresponding fuel gauge indicated the proper amount of fuel.

Attempts to obtain a completed Pilot/Operator Accident Report, NTSB Form 6120.1/2, were unsuccessful.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page