On November 23, 1997, about 1120 eastern standard time, a Cessna 182A, N48310, collided with trees during an attempted go-around at the Waycross-Ware County Airport, Waycross, Georgia. The airplane was operated by Skydive Waycross under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91 and visual flight rules. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. A flight plan was not filed for the sport parachute flight. There were no injuries to the commercial pilot, and the airplane was substantially damaged. The flight originated from Waycross about 1030, on the same day.

According to the pilot, he entered the pattern on the downwind leg, and there were two other airplanes in the pattern. He was number two for landing as he turned final. The airplane in front of him was completing its landing roll. The airplane on the runway then stopped on the runway. The pilot of N48310 then transmitted three times in an attempt to get the other airplane to expedite off the runway. The pilot of N48310 then executed a go-around using full power and low pitch. According to the pilot, the engine accelerated briefly then sputtered, and the propeller began windmilling. The pilot attempted to turn the airplane back to the runway. The airplane then impacted the trees to the left side of the runway. The pilot stated he had both automobile gasoline and Avgas in the airplane at the time of the engine failure.

According to three witnesses, N48310 was on final approach when he made three calls to question the intent of the airplane on the runway. The pilot then added power, the engine sputtered, and the airplane started losing altitude. The airplane then impacted the trees after making a slight left turn.

The FAA inspector stated that after examining the engine, she found there was fuel in the gascolator, carburetor, and fuel line. She also noted the spark plugs appeared normal, the intake was normal, and both magnetos were able to fire.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page