On August 30, 1997, about 1410 eastern daylight time, a Navion G, N2362T, operated by the US Coast Guard, was substantially damaged during a forced landing after takeoff from the US Coast Guard Air Station, Brooklyn, New York. The certificated commercial pilot, private pilot, and observer were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the aerial observation flight. The flight was operated on a Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight plan and was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

In the NTSB Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report, the pilot stated:

"All components checked normal. Flaps were set for T/O, Fuel selector set for mains tank, Electric fuel pump set on low, I opened the throttle to full power, 2700 RPM, Rotated at 80 MPH at approx. 1,000 feet down runway, at 50 feet altitude the engine started to miss and loose power, my co-pilot attempted to regain power by turning electric fuel pump to high, he checked mags and fuel settings but could not restore power. I lowered the nose...of the aircraft to gain maximum glide to clear fence at the end of the runway. The nose wheel and main landing gear made contact with the top of the fence. Executed emergency landing. All crew members exited with no injuries...."

An Inspector from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported:

"...During the investigation it was noted that the aircraft control setting were set as crew mentioned in their statement. On 13 November 1997, a test cell run was accomplished on the engine at Mattituck Airbase Inc., Mattituck, NY...No defects and/or discrepancies were noted during the engine run...."

The FAA inspector also reported that after the pilot experienced a power loss, he continued straight ahead, and the landing gear struck a perimeter fence for the runway. The airplane then struck the asphalt surface beyond the perimeter fence, at which point, the nose and the left main landing gear collapsed. The airplane came to rest 287 feet beyond the fence.

The investigation revealed that the airplane was equipped with one wing tank of 39 gallons, and two tip tanks of 35 gallons each. The tip tanks were placard for "Level Flight Only." The fuel selector was a 4-position valve with main tank, left tip, right tip, and off. There was no fuel transfer pump.

The main tank was found to be full, and an estimated 5 to 10 gallons was in each tip tank. The fuel system remained intact and no leaks were visible.

A check of FAA records for the air station revealed specifications for one heliport and no fixed wing runway. The investigation revealed the Coast Guard was using a portion of an abandon fixed wing runway for light plane operations. The runway was 2,500 feet long, and was fenced to keep vehicles, and pedestrian traffic clear.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page