On July 7, 1997, about 1245 eastern daylight time, a Moran Teenie Two, an unregistered experimental homebuilt airplane, N9753, experienced a loss of directional control on takeoff and crashed at the Moore County Airport, Pinehurst, North Carolina. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed. The airplane sustained substantial damage. The private pilot reported no injuries. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.

The pilot stated he lifted off the runway at 80 mph and reached about 20 feet when the engine experienced a power reduction of about 25 percent. He lowered the nose and the airplane veered to the left. He applied right rudder and the airplane continued to the left. The nosewheel collided with a taxiway sign, the airplane hit the ground and spun to the left 180 degrees.

Witnesses stated the pilot took off downwind and became airborne about 500 feet down the runway. "The aircraft seemed to have a normal take off at first. He bounced the first time and came off the runway about 2-3 feet, he bounced again and came off the runway about 20 feet. When the airplane came down for a third time, pieces came loose and the airplane veered off to the left and came off the runway. He hit taxiway C sign and 2 runway lights. The aircraft spun 180 degrees before coming to a complete stop."

Examination of the crashsite revealed the airplane became prematurely airborne, returned to the runway, and high sink rate induced a series of three bounces. The pilot lost directional control about 35 degrees left of runway heading, struck a taxiway sign, yawed to the left 90 degrees, sheared off the nose wheel, skidded through the grass across a taxiway, yawed to the left 90 degrees, and came to rest.

Examination of the engine assembly and accessories revealed no evidence of a precrash mechanical failure or malfunction.

An NTSB Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report was mailed to the pilot on July 7, 1997, and another copy was faxed to the pilot on August 13, 1997. In addition numerous phone calls were made to the pilot's residence requesting that the report be completed. No report was received from the pilot.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page