On June 30, 1997, about 1900 eastern daylight time, a Globe, GC-1B, Canadian Registration, CF-NXL, was substantially damaged during a forced landing in Yates, New York. The Canadian certificated private pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight that departed London, Ontario, Canada, about 1745. The flight was conducted under a Canadian visual flight rules flight plan.

An Inspector from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported the pilot was en route to Kingston, Ontario, at 7,500 feet, overflying Lake Ontario, when the engine began to run rough and lost power. The pilot was unable to establish radio contact with Toronto Approach Control. He then established radio contact with Buffalo Approach Control, and due to weather to the north, diverted to the south, toward New York State.

Examination of the landing site and airplane revealed the landing surface was rough and uneven and there were no suitable fields nearby. The tail wheel had separated from the airframe, and both wing spars were twisted where the landing gear was attached. Examination of the engine, a Lycoming O-320-A3A, revealed that the number three cylinder had separated from the engine. According to a report from an FAA inspector:

"...The number three cylinder of the Lycoming O-320 engine had separated from the crankcase. Investigation revealed the suds had failed at their shank. One had stripped the thread on the nut side and rest broke flush with the case flange. The conditions usually occurs due to overtorquing of these nuts causing the studs to stretch and break...."

The engine was last overhauled in 1981, and had accumulated about 445 hours at the time of the accident.

The FAA Inspector assigned to the accident reported that he presented the pilot with the NTSB Form 6120.1/2 to complete. When the pilot failed to complete the form, the inspector sent a 2nd copy, which was returned unclaimed.

The pilot was sent another copy of the form via Federal Express, which was delivered, to the pilot's address on February 23, 1998. An enclosed letter requested the pilot to complete the form and contact the NTSB if he had any questions. As of May 5, 1998, the pilot has not contacted the NTSB nor has the NTSB received the completed form.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page