On January 1, 1997 at 0230 central standard time (cst), a Gates Lear Jet, N8040A, was substantially damaged when the airplane went of the left side, and past the departure end of runway 03, at the Kansas City Downtown Airport, Kansas City, Missouri. The airplane struck two aircraft, and a hanger after departing the runway. Neither flight crew member was injured in the accident. The 14 CFR Part 135 flight was operating on an instrument flight plan, and instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident.

The airplane had just executed an ILS runway 03 approach, and had been cleared to land by the control tower operator. The control tower operator witnessed the touch down of the aircraft, and reported that the airplane landed on the runway with approximately 2,000 feet of runway remaining. The tower operator advised the crew of the airplane that they were going to run out of runway, after the airplane had landed. There was no response from the crew of the Gates Lear Jet on tower frequency, following the tower operator's advisory.

The airplane was inspected by a representative from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), on the day of the accident. The representative reported that he observed skid marks on the runway which began approximately 2,000 feet from the end of runway 03. The skid marks went from the center of the runway to the left side of the runway, and then continued through the grass. The airplane was found with the flaps set at 20 degrees and the drag chute stowed. The airplane flight manual, and company procedure recommend the use of forty degrees of flaps during landing. The altitude bug on the copilots altimeter was set at 900 feet. The decision height for the approach to runway 03 is listed at 994 feet. A review of the airframe and engines by the FAA representative did not reveal any abnormalities.

In an interview of the pilot following the accident the pilot reported that runway 03 was chosen, because it had the minimum visibility required for the approach. The pilot was also aware that he was landing the airplane with almost a direct tailwind. Both pilots had flown into the airport where the accident occurred, on prior flights. The pilot did not report that there were any malfunctions with the airframe or engines.

The weather at the time of the accident was reported as 100 feet overcast with a runway 03 visibility range of 5,000 feet, the wind was from 200 degrees at 10 knots. The runway was wet.

The last radar data for the accident aircraft showed that at 1,000 feet (six feet above decision height) N8040A had a ground speed of 176 knots.

The airplanes nose was crushed from hitting the other aircraft, and impacting with the hanger, the right tip tank had ruptured.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page