On September 6, 1996, at 1845 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150L, N6632G, experienced a loss of engine power during cruise flight in the vicinity of Hope, Maine. The airplane was substantially damaged went it nosed over during the ensuing forced landing. The certificated private pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed for the flight which originated at Portland, Maine about 1800, destined for Belfast, Maine. The flight was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

In the NTSB Form 6120.1/2 the pilot stated, he had flown from Belfast (BST) to Portland (PWM), then to Greenville (3B1), Maine back to PWM. He described the flights as "pleasant and uneventful." The pilot then departed PWM for the return flight to BST. During the flight, while cruising at 3,500 feet MSL, the engine lost total power over the town of Hope, Maine. The pilot was unable to restart the engine, and performed a forced landing to a grass field. The airplane nosed over, and came to rest inverted at an angle, with the nose and leading edge of the wings on the grass.

In an interview with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Inspector the pilot stated, the engine suddenly stopped without warning. After the engine failure, he immediately applied carburetor heat, and performed a magneto check with no response from the engine. He pumped the throttle and primer with little response from the engine. The pilot also stated, he departed Portland knowing he was pushing the envelope on fuel, and figured he had enough to get home because the left tank fuel quantity was above 1/4, and the right tank fuel quantity showed above zero.

The HOBBS meter reading at the accident site revealed the airplane had been operated for 5.4 hours.

The pilot did not refuel during the trip. The airplane had a supplemental type certificate for the use of automotive gasoline. The pilot stated, he attempted to refuel at Greenville, and Portland, and was told automotive gasoline was unavailable. Aviation gasoline was sold at Greenville, and Portland. The pilot reported he had been told to use automotive gasoline only by his flight instructor, and he was not aware of the compatibility between automotive gasoline and aviation gasoline.

The wreckage was examined by an FAA Inspector the following morning. According to his report, fuel was found in the line which connects the gascolator, and the carburetor. At least 1 gallon of fuel was drained from the right fuel tank, and at least 2 or 3 cups of fuel leaked out of the left fuel tank. Also, an undetermined amount of fuel was observed pulsing out of the fuel vent tube. The report did not indicate any pre-impact failures of the engine or airframe.

According to the Airplane's Information Manual, the total fuel capacity of the airplane was 26 gallons, of which 3.5 gallons were unusable.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page