On June 12, 1996, about 1137 Central Daylight Time, a Grumman American AA-1C, N39018 collided with the ground during a forced landing at Gulfport, Mississippi. The airplane was operated by the pilot under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91, and visual flight rules. Visual meteorological conditions existed. No flight plan was filed. There were no injuries to the pilot and pilot-rated passenger, and the airplane was substantially damaged. The flight originated at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, about 1100, with a destination of Gulfport, Mississippi.

The pilot stated in his report of the accident, that he knew the fuel quantity indicators had a tendency to indicate lower than actual fuel level He also indicated in his report that the airplane had five gallons of fuel at takeoff. After takeoff, the pilot flew to a local airport where he completed a low pass. He proceeded to a second airport and performed a touch and go landing. He then proceeded toward the destination airport and contacted approach control, which he described as unusually busy.. After contacting approach control, he stated, he received numerous vectors as far out as 16 miles north of the airport, for about 20 minutes. After landing clearance was received, about three miles from the airport, the engine quit.

According to the Gulfport-Biloxi Regional Airport Authority report of the accident circumstances, the airport fire department was notified through the crash phone that the airplane had lost engine power, and that the pilot had reported the airplane was out of fuel. The airplane was on final approach when it collided with a power line, then collided with the ground in a residential area, one mile north of the Gulfport Airport.

During examination of the wreckage, approximately eight ounces of fuel were found in each fuel tank. The fuel caps were installed, and there was no evidence of fuel leakage or seepage from either tank.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page