On April 10, 1996, at 1017 central daylight time, a Cessna T310Q, N7713Q, collided with the terrain during a forced landing on a road in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The forced lading was being made as a result of a loss of engine power on both engines. The airplane was substantially damaged and the private pilot received minor injuries. The flight was operating in visual meteorological conditions on an IFR flight plan. The flight departed Williston, North Dakota, at 0740 cdt.

The pilot stated he departed Williston with the auxiliary fuel tanks full and the main fuel tanks 1 to 2 inches from full fuel. He stated that 50 miles from his destination, Crystal Airport, Minneapolis, Minnesota, the right engine quit followed 10 minutes later by the left engine quitting.

A transcript of the communications between the pilot of N7713Q and the Minneapolis Approach Controller who was working the airplane indicated that at 1007 the pilot stated, "Approach, I'm getting pretty low on fuel, can you direct me to the airport?" The controller responded that he was 16 miles away form the airport. One minute later at 1008, the pilot reported "...I'm losing an engine." At 1011, the pilot reported "...13Q has a dead right engine." The controller responded that the airport was now 8 1/2 miles away. At 1015, the pilot reported "Complete fuel loss, I'm going to have to put her down."

The pilot stated he waited until the last minute to lower the gear in order to clear trees during the forced landing. The airplane touched down on a road without the gear fully extended. It slide off the side of the road and down an slight embankment where it contacted a road sign. The fire/rescue workers who responded to the scene reported that approximately 10 to 15 gallons of fuel spilled from the airplane during the impact sequence. According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Inspectors who arrived on the scene, the main and auxiliary fuel tanks had ruptured during the impact sequence. The fuel system was inspected and no signs of previous fuel leakage were found.

Additional Information

The pilot reported that the right fuel tank gauge had been inoperative and it indicated a full fuel tank for the entire flight. The pilot stated the airplane had last been refueled on March 12, 1996, and that he had not flow the airplane since. According to an FAA Inspector, maintenance was performed on the airplane in December, 1995. Between that time and the time of the accident the hobbs meter showed the airplane had been flown 3.9 hours. However, the pilot's logbook showed he had flown this airplane a total of 22.4 hours since the December maintenance.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page