On December 11, 1995, approximately 1900 Pacific standard time, a Cessna 152, N5366M, operated by Galvin Flying Service of Seattle, Washington, a 14 CFR 141 flight training school certificate holder, experienced a loss of engine power on takeoff from a private airstrip near Chimacum, Washington. The pilot in command, a certificated flight instructor, landed the airplane straight ahead on the airstrip, but the airplane struck a ditch at the end of the strip and nosed over. The airplane was substantially damaged but neither the pilot nor a student pilot-rated passenger were injured. The pilot stated that visual meteorological conditions existed at the airstrip. The pilot filed, but did not activate, a visual flight rules (VFR) flight plan for the 14 CFR 91 flight, which was to have proceeded to Boeing Field in Seattle.

The pilot stated on his accident report that the takeoff area was a 1,200-foot-long wet grass surface. He stated that prior to the takeoff attempt, he taxied along the strip several times to check conditions. He stated that the engine stopped once while taxiing but then restarted. The pilot stated that the takeoff proceeded normally until the airplane became airborne in ground effect. He reported that at this point, the engine lost "at least" 300 to 400 RPM. He stated that he then cycled carburetor heat, at which point the engine stopped completely. He landed straight ahead but was unable to stop in the remaining distance. The airplane then struck the ditch and nosed over. In an initial telephone interview conducted by the NTSB investigator-in-charge on the day after the accident, the pilot stated that he took off with carburetor heat off.

The pilot reported on the initial telephone interview that the outside air temperature on the aircraft gauge read 40 degrees F. At 1846, Port Angeles, 30 nautical miles west of Chimacum, reported fog, calm winds, and temperature and dewpoint of 45 degrees F. A Transport Canada carburetor icing hazard chart used by the investigator indicated that at the temperature and dewpoint reported in the Port Angeles observation, there was a potential for "serious icing - any power."

A test run of the accident aircraft's engine was conducted by Galvin Flying Service personnel under supervision of the NTSB and FAA at Boeing Field, Seattle, on December 20, 1995. The engine was successfully started and run.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page