On October 30, 1995, about 1230 hours Pacific standard time, a Cessna 310C, N1755H, operated by Time Builders, Inc., dragged a wing during landing and was substantially damaged at the Boulder City Municipal Airport, Boulder, Nevada. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the personal flight, and no flight plan was filed. At the time of the accident, two certified flight instructors/commercial pilots occupied the front seats in the airplane, and a third commercial pilot/passenger occupied a rear seat. None of the pilots were injured. The flight originated from North Las Vegas, Nevada, about 1100.

The pilot in the left front seat reported to the National Transportation Safety Board that he was the pilot-in-command (PIC) of the flight, and he handled the flight controls. The PIC stated that, when the accident occurred, he was practicing a single-engine approach and landing to maintain his multiengine flying proficiency. He extended the landing gear in the downwind leg, observed the green colored gear down light illuminate, and reduced left engine power to zero thrust. The pilot opined that upon touchdown on runway 09R, the right main landing gear "seemed" to collapse.

The PIC further reported that he immediately pulled up and added engine power. He then flew the airplane with the landing gear in the down position to North Las Vegas, whereupon he landed without incident.

On November 8, 1995, the pilot/passenger who had occupied the right front seat in the airplane reported to the Safety Board that he had no piloting responsibilities during the accident flight. In summary, he reported that the accident occurred during the fourth or fifth landing at the Boulder Airport. He stated that the traffic pattern approach altitude was "standard," and the pattern was flown about 3,000 feet mean sea level, which was about 2,200 feet above ground level. The passenger stated that the pilot reduced power to the left engine and made a right-hand pattern to the runway. The pattern was flown close in to the runway. About 30 degrees of bank was used during the turn from the base leg to the final approach leg. Regarding the size of the traffic pattern, the pilot/passenger stated that "we rolled out (on final) and a couple of seconds later we touched down." The touchdown was firm, and the right main landing gear seemed to collapse. The pilot added engine power, pulled up, and the airplane became airborne. We touched down a second time and the right wing contacted the runway.

Under the direction of the Safety Board, the airplane's landing gear was examined and a retraction test was performed. According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) coordinator, the gear extension and retraction system, and the down locking mechanism were found functional.

The FAA coordinator and the operator examined impact and paint transfer/abrasion-like marks near the approach end of runway 09R.

They reported observing several marks on the runway surface which appeared consistent with damage to the underside of the accident airplane's outboard right wing, right horizontal stabilizer, and right main landing gear wheel.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page