On June 11, 1995, at about 1000 eastern daylight time, a Beech F33A, N1775B, piloted by the private pilot rated registered owner, collided with terrain during an attempted go-around after a low pass over runway 24 at the Potomac Airfield, in Friendly, Maryland. The pilot and the one passenger, the sole occupants, received minor injuries. The airplane was destroyed. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. The personal flight departed Manteo, North Carolina, about 0815, and was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to the pilot, shortly after takeoff from the flight's last departure point, he retracted the landing gear and got "...2 green and one amber light." He stated he thought the landing gear did not retract correctly and decided to continue to his final destination and try to resolve the problem in flight. He stated that during the flight the "...landing gear and landing gear throttle circuit breakers popped." He said he reset the circuit breakers and they "popped" again.

The pilot reported that when he got to Potomac Airfield, he broadcasted over the UNICOM frequency for someone on the ground to verify that the airplane landing gear was in the down position. He stated he made a low pass over runway 24 and began a left turn intending to fly a left hand traffic pattern. A person on the ground reported to him [the pilot] that the gear was down. The pilot stated, "...I initiated standard go-around procedures--which I'd practiced many times. There followed a dull grinding sound under the cowl and no gain in power. In order to avoid a housing development that lies just off Runway 24...I steered the aircraft toward nearby trees...." The pilot stated that the airplane descended through the trees and came to rest on the ground.

Postaccident examination of the wreckage revealed that the airplane descended through trees and the fuselage came to rest inverted on the ground with the right wing attached. The right main landing gear was extended. The left wing was torn away from the fuselage and remained in the trees about 30 feet above the ground with its landing gear extended. The nose gear was extended. The empennage was detached from the fuselage and came to rest about 30 feet in front of the cabin area.

The airplane's landing gear system was destroyed and could not be tested.

The engine was examined and compression in all six cylinders was confirmed. Continuity throughout the engine was confirmed. The magnetos and the engine driven fuel pump functioned. Fuel was found in the fuel flow distribution unit. The throttle and mixture control cables were attached to their attachment points on the engine. No engine anomalies were noted.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page