On October 9, 1994, approximately 2030 hours mountain daylight time (mdt), a Cessna R172K, N7327K, registered to Rex & Dena Sylvester, and being operated/flown by Nathan K. Hoyt, a private pilot, collided with a parked Beech Baron on the ramp at the St. George Municipal Airport, St. George, Utah, while on landing roll out. The Cessna sustained substantial damage during the forced landing and ground collision following a total loss of power approaching the airport. The pilot and three passengers received minor injuries. The flight, which was personal in nature, was to have been operated under 14CFR91, and originated from the Logan-Cache Airport approximately 1740.

The pilot reported that after approximately 2.6 hours of flight time from St. George to Logan on October 8th, he purchased 10 gallons of fuel. He reported that the fuel gauges were displaying half full quantity readings and that the tanks looked half full prior to departing Logan. During a telephone interview, the pilot stated that the fuel gauges read one quarter when approaching the St. George Airport. Two other planes were in the pattern and the pilot extended the downwind leg. While in the pattern, the pilot stated that the engine sputtered, then quit. The pilot turned toward the runway and the engine resumed power for a short time, allowing the airplane to climb. The engine then quit again and the pilot set up for an emergency forced landing on the transient parking ramp. During the landing roll, the airplane collided with a parked Beech Baron.

The St. George Fire Chief reported that there was no evidence of fuel leakage at the accident site following the crash. Airport personnel reported that the left wing contained "at best" unusable fuel. The right wing contained possibly a small amount of fuel.

A Federal Aviation Administration Inspector from the Salt Lake City, Utah, Flight Standards District Office, reported that he viewed the airplane several days after the accident. The Inspector stated that the left wing fuel tank contained approximately one inch of fuel. The right wing was found to contain approximately four gallons of fuel. The engine was then started and found to run with no noted abnormalities.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page