HISTORY OF FLIGHT Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsisReturn to Query Page
On May 14, 1994, at 1030 mountain daylight time, a Boeing E75N1, N631E, was destroyed when it impacted the ground while performing acrobatics. The pilot and passenger sustained fatal injuries. The flight originated from Meadow Lake Airport, Falcon, Colorado, as a local area personal flight. The accident occurred approximately 2.5 miles west of Peyton, Colorado. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed.
According to the attached witness statements, the aircraft was performing low level acrobatics. At completion of a second series of what was described as a dive with a pull to inverted flight ending in spin entry and recovery at about 100 feet above ground level, the aircraft dove vertically into the ground.
The pilot was occupying the rear seat and reportedly was giving a demonstration ride to the non pilot passenger in the front seat.
Both cockpits were equipped with flight controls and the investigation did not reveal evidence as to which occupant was at the controls at the time of the accident.
The pilot was employed as an airline pilot and according to his log, was serving as a Douglas DC-10 captain. His log provided information that he performed acrobatics in the accident aircraft frequently.
According to information found in the aircraft, several modifications had been made to this aircraft since it was built as a primary Army/Navy trainer in 1942.
The original powerplant was a Lycoming R-680-17 direct drive, nine cylinder, air cooled radial engine rated at 225 shaft horsepower. The propeller was a ground adjustable two bladed steel or a fixed pitch two bladed wood. This was replaced with a Pratt and Whitney R-985-14 engine rated at 450 shaft horse power and a Hamilton standard constant speed two bladed steel propeller on October 5, 1982.
An operations checklist for the original configured aircraft was found in the wreckage. No evidence of a checklist for the modified aircraft was located.
WRECKAGE AND IMPACT INFORMATION
The wreckage scatter pattern was oriented on a base course of 120 degrees and extended for a distance of 62 feet. The first witness mark was a 3 foot scrape mark in the ground. Twelve feet beyond this mark was a gouge which contained fragments of red glass and a portion of what was identified as a position light. Fourteen feet beyond this mark was a pit which contained the left main landing gear, oil stains, and engine accessory debris. Ground scarring containing miscellaneous parts of the aircraft extended from that point for 36 feet where the main portions of the aircraft came to rest with the aft section oriented to the southeast.
From the rear cockpit forward was destroyed. This portion of the wreckage contained the wings, engine, propeller and right main landing gear. The empennage was intact. The elevator push/pull rod was fractured at the aft connecting point. The fracture portion was removed and sent to the Board's Material Laboratory for analysis. Their report is attached and indicates the fracture features were typical of overstress separation with no evidence of progressive cracking. Control continuity to the elevator and rudder from the rear cockpit was established. Control continuity to the ailerons could not be established due to impact damage.
The wreckage was released to Mr. Dennis Jason, Jason and Associates on May 18, 1994. The part retained from the elevator control was returned on June 1, 1994.