On March 29, 1999, at 1730 central standard time, a Luscombe 8A tailwheel equipped airplane, N1212B, was substantially damaged following a loss of control during the landing roll at the Ada Municipal Airport near Ada, Oklahoma. The airplane was registered to and operated by the owner. The instrument rated commercial pilot, sole occupant of the airplane, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed throughout the area for the Title 14 CFR Part 91 flight. A flight plan was not filed for the 65 nautical mile cross country flight that originated from the Margaritaville Airport, near Whitesboro, Texas, at approximately 1645. Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsisReturn to Query Page
The 2,750-hour commercial pilot reported to the FAA inspector that he flew to the Ada Municipal Airport to have his 1947 vintage airplane repainted at a paint shop at the airport. He further stated that he made a "normal wheel landing" on runway 35. The pilot added that after the airspeed decayed and he lost rudder effectiveness, he "got on the brakes prior to letting the tail wheel down." The ensuing deceleration resulted in the airplane nosing over and coming to rest in the inverted position.
The airport manager stated that the pilot called the airport's Unicom station as he approached the airport. The airport manager reported that the winds had been variable from the northeast and southeast most of the afternoon, and at the time of his radio call the pilot was told that the winds were from 070 at 10 knots. The pilot, who was reported to have accumulated over 200 hours in tailwheel equipped airplanes, elected to land straight in on runway 35. Runway 12 (3,103 feet long, 50 feet wide) was available.
In the enclosed NTSB Form 6120.1/2, the pilot states that "weather was not a factor" and reported wind as 070 variable at less than 5 knots.
Examination of the airplane by the pilot and the airport manager revealed structural damage to the vertical stabilizer, the engine firewall, and the airframe. The airplane was equipped with the original heel-operated mechanical (non-hydraulic) drum brakes.