On February 27, 1999, about 1415 eastern standard time, a Cessna 182J, N460JM, registered to a private individual, experienced a loss of control and collided with trees while on final approach to land at the Macon County Airport, Franklin, North Carolina. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight. The airplane was substantially damaged and the private-rated pilot and passenger were not injured. The flight originated about 1345 from the Macon County Airport, Franklin, North Carolina.

According to the airplane owner, after purchasing the airplane, he and another pilot flew from the purchase location to the airport where the airplane was to be based. After landing and securing the airplane, it was decided to fly in the traffic pattern. With the airplane owner seated in the right front seat, the pilot-in-command seated in the left seat performed two touch-and-go landings. The pilot-in-command stated that while on final approach for the third touch-and-go landing, he noted that the airspeed indicated 40 knots. He added partial power then after noting that the airspeed did not increase, he added slightly more power. The airplane then veered to the left and pitched up. He then applied right rudder and aileron, and the airplane continued to pitch up. He applied forward pressure on the elevator control to correct the pitch attitude but was unable to decrease the angle of attack. He then heard the stall warning horn and applied full power, full right rudder, and right aileron, but the airplane continued to the left and collided with trees. He further stated that there was no engine malfunction. The airplane owner further stated that while on final approach, he noted that the airplane was in a nose high attitude and advised the pilot to lower the nose; the pilot responded that he couldn't.

The airplane was modified in accordance with a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) which featured full span double slotted flaps, movable spoilers called "wrens teeth" which are mounted on the upper surface of both wings to aid in roll control, and a movable high lift canard installed in line with the engine.

According to the previous holder of the STC, the optimum approach to the runway was flat and was flown to the point just prior to touchdown at 55 mph.

According to an FAA airworthiness inspector who examined the accident site and the airplane, it came to rest on a magnetic heading of 110 degrees, 2/10 of a mile from and to the left of the approach end of runway 25. The right wing was found separated from the fuselage and the elevator trim indicator was found positioned to the "takeoff" position. Examination of the flight controls revealed no evidence of binding or failure for roll, pitch, or yaw.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page