On February 8, 1999, approximately 1720 central standard time, a Miller/Bell TR-1 amateur-built experimental airplane, N9194X, was substantially damaged when it impacted a building during a precautionary landing near Hiwasse, Arkansas. The private pilot and his passenger, who were the builders and owners of the airplane, were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 local flight, which originated from Smith Field, Siloam Springs, Arkansas, approximately 1635. Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsisReturn to Query Page
According to the enclosed Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1/2), and telephone interviews conducted by the investigator-in-charge, the pilot stated that approximately 45 minutes into the flight he heard the engine noise change. The pilot then checked the oil pressure, which indicated zero. After reducing engine power, the pilot elected to make a precautionary landing on a road adjacent to a field and a hog-house. The pilot stated that the winds were from the south; however, the road ran along an east-west heading. According to the pilot, during the landing flare, the wind pushed the aircraft into the side of the hog-house. The aircraft's right wing scraped the side of hog-house causing the airplane to spin around and impact a three foot extension of the building.
At 1139, the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport weather observation facility, which is approximately 15 miles northeast of the accident site, was reporting the wind from 180 degrees at 12 knots gusting to 20 knots.
The FAA inspector reported that the left wing spar was damaged and the nose gear collapsed. According to the pilot, upon inspection of the aircraft following the accident, he noticed that the adell clamp for the oil cooler inlet line had "separated," which allowed the oil to spill overboard.
The airplane had accumulated a total of 41 hours since its original airworthiness inspection dated April 17,1998.