On February 21, 1999, at 1905 central standard time, a Beech C23, N6014F, piloted by a commercial rated pilot, sustained substantial damage following an in-flight impact with transmission wires, a building, a flood levy wall, and terrain during a forced landing in Kansas City, Missouri. The pilot reported to Air Traffic Control (ATC), while on an extended final approach for Runway 01 (7,500 feet by 150 feet, dry/asphalt), that he was experiencing a loss of engine power and was not going to make the Kansas City Downtown Airport, Kansas City, Missouri. Visual meteorological conditions (VMC) prevailed at the time of the accident. The flight was operating under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91 as a personal flight and was not on a flight plan. The one pilot and two passengers reported minor injuries. The flight departed Kansas City Downtown Airport at 1730, and was returning to the Kansas City Downtown Airport at the time of the accident.

According to the pilot's written statement, they were returning to the Kansas City area after a photo mission of a nearby state university. The pilot reported that he made the request for a practice Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach, in VMC/night conditions, to Runway 03. The pilot stated that he flew the approach which terminated in a low pass over Runway 03. The pilot reported that he cancelled his IFR clearance and requested a full stop landing on Runway 01. The pilot stated that while turning left, to base leg, the engine started to lose power and he immediately checked the throttle and mixture controls. The pilot reported that the throttle and mixture controls were in the "Full" position. The pilot stated that he had checked for carburetor icing on downwind by utilizing carburetor heat. The pilot reported that the engine then began to accelerate and decelerate without throttle or mixture control inputs. The pilot stated, "Again the engine sounded as if it would come back and then abruptly stopped."

In an interview with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Inspectors, the pilot reported that he switched fuel tanks and checked for carburetor icing on the downwind portion of his traffic pattern for Runway 01.

An examination of the aircraft was conducted at the accident site. The fuel selector was found in the "Off" position, the throttle and mixture were found in the "Full" positions, carburetor heat was "Cold", the magneto switch was on "Both", boost pump was "On", and the master switch was found in the "Off" position. It was reported that crash/rescue selected the master switch from "On" to the "Off" position. The Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) was disconnected to disable its transmission after the accident. No other flight controls or instruments were reported to be changed.

Examination of the engine revealed no anomalies that would prevent operation of the engine. The carburetor was separated from the engine during the impact sequence. The carburetor inlet screen and oil suction screen were found to be clean and without contaminants. The magnetos were removed and were found to produce a spark. The spark plugs were removed and found to be clean. There was approximately eight gallons of a translucent fluid, tinted blue in color, found in the right fuel tank. The fluid had similar qualities of 100 Low Lead Aviation grade fuel. The left fuel tank was compromised during the accident sequence.

The engine was installed on a test stand and subjected to a functional test run. The engine was found to run without any anomalous behavior.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page