NTSB Identification: WPR13FA086
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, January 06, 2013 in Woody, CA
Aircraft: BEECH V35A, registration: N35SD
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On January 6, 2013, about 1606 Pacific standard time, a Beech V35A, N35SD, collided with terrain near Woody, California. The pilot/owner was operating the airplane under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. The private pilot and one passenger sustained fatal injuries; the airplane sustained substantial damage. The cross-country personal flight departed Imperial, California, about 1415, with a planned destination of Fresno, California. Visual meteorological (VMC) conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported that the pilot obtained flight following, and the airplane climbed to 16,500 feet. At 1549, the pilot requested an instrument flight rules (IFR) clearance into Fresno from Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC). The clearance was granted, and the controller instructed the pilot to maintain 14,000 feet.

The pilot requested a descent to cross Tule (TTE) very high frequency omni-directional radio range (VOR) at 9,000 feet mean sea level (msl). Due to a higher minimum vector altitude, the controller told the pilot to maintain 14,000 feet, and contact Bakersfield Approach Control for a lower altitude.

The pilot contacted Bakersfield Approach Control, and was issued a descent to 7,000 feet. The pilot acknowledged the descent; contact was lost first by voice and later by radar. The wreckage was located about 1 mile from the last radar return.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC) and the FAA inspected the wreckage on site. The debris path was over 1/2 mile long. The first pieces were from the tail section. Both wings separated and were in the middle of the debris field. The cabin separated into several sections that were scattered throughout the center of the debris field. The engine with the propeller attached was the last major debris.

Index for Jan2013 | Index of months