NTSB Identification: ERA10FA364
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, July 17, 2010 in South Portland, ME
Probable Cause Approval Date: 05/21/2012
Aircraft: S.C. Aerostar S.A. Yak52, registration: N52MY
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot had not flown any airplane in almost 2 years. The purpose of the flight was for the pilot to obtain a biennial flight review from an instructor. Additionally, the accident flight was the first flight after the airplane's most recent annual condition inspection, which was completed about 2 weeks before the accident. The airplane made two touch-and-go landings uneventfully. The third landing was full-stop, followed by the pilot back-taxiing to the run-up area and testing the engine.

Following the engine run-up, the pilot intended to take off again; he told the air traffic controller that he wanted to fly over the airport at 3,000 feet to do a system check. A witness stated that, during the takeoff, the wings started to rock back and forth. The pilot indicated to the air traffic controller that he wanted to return to the airport, and he began a slow left turn. About one-fourth of the way through the turn, the airplane stalled and descended nose-low into the ground.

Examination of the wreckage revealed that one wooden propeller blade had separated at the hub and the other blade had separated about mid-span. The propeller blade and engine damage were consistent with little or no rotation at impact. Adequate fuel was found in the fuel system, and no evidence of contamination was noted. On-scene and metallurgical examination of the wreckage and fuel components did not reveal any preimpact mechanical malfunctions.

Although this airplane had a history of fuel flow obstruction due to debris in the fuel system caused by torn hoses as a result of the installation of English-size fuel hoses rather than metric, no evidence of tear debris was found in the fuel system of the accident airplane.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The pilot did not maintain adequate airspeed during an emergency return to the airport following a total loss of engine power, which resulted in an inadvertent stall. Contributing to the accident was a total loss of engine power for undetermined reasons and the pilot's lack of recent flying experience.

Full narrative available

Index for Jul2010 | Index of months