NTSB Identification: DFW07CA064.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
Accident occurred Sunday, February 04, 2007 in McKinney, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 05/29/2007
Aircraft: Beech F35, registration: N6XH
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot made a forced landing to a plowed field after loss of engine power. The 1,800-hour commercial pilot, who reported having accumulated 35 hours in the make and model, reported a loss of engine power prior to entering the downwind leg while on a local flight. According to the pilot, the airplane had been flown under a ferry permit "several months ago" to another airport where an annual inspection was to be completed. The airplane had not been refueled since the ferry flight. The pilot reported that he was planning on making two local flights in order to show the four-place airplane to two separate passengers. During his preflight inspection, prior to the first flight, the pilot noted that all the fuel tanks, including the two auxiliary fuel tanks, appeared to be full and free of contaminants. On the first flight, the pilot reported flying north of the airport for approximately 7 to 10 minutes, performing several maneuvers, and then return to the airport for a full stop landing. The first flight was uneventful. On the second flight, the pilot took the second passenger and followed the same route taken on the previous flight. While returning to the airport, when approximately 4 or 5 miles short of the airport, the pilot switched the fuel selector to the left main tank and reduced power. Immediately after the power reduction the pilot noted that the engine "lugged down and roughened." After attempting different power and mixture settings, the pilot switched to an auxiliary fuel tank, and then switched back the left main fuel tank. The pilot reported that the engine then "died altogether" and he switched the fuel selector to the right main tank. The airplane landed in a wet-freshly plowed field with the gear and flaps retracted. The single-engine airplane sustained substantial damage to the bottom of the fuselage and the engine firewall. The pilot and passenger received minor injuries. The reason for the reported loss of engine power could not be determined. A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, who responded to the accident site, noted that he found the fuel selector in the right main tank position and he also noted that the right main fuel tank was empty. The inspector also noted the pilot's management of the fuel system was contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations. Weather at the time of the accident was reported as wind from 020 degrees at 10 knots, clear skies, with a barometric pressure setting 30.38 inches of Mercury.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The loss of engine power for undetermined reasons. A contributing factor was the lack of suitable terrain for the forced landing.

Full narrative available

Index for Feb2007 | Index of months