NTSB Identification: CHI04LA254.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
Accident occurred Friday, September 10, 2004 in Ancona, IL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 09/13/2005
Aircraft: Cessna 150F, registration: N6544F
Injuries: 1 Serious.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The airplane collided with power lines and terrain during cruise flight. The pilot just purchased the airplane and was flying cross country. On the first day of the flight he flew 2.5 hours then stopped because of fatigue and a headache. He stated he slept 15 hours and continued the flight the next morning. The pilot made one en route stop to purchase fuel followed by another to purchase a sectional chart. The pilot stated he was fatigued when he landed at the second airport, so he slept under the wing of the airplane for about one hour. He stated that shortly after taking off, he lost consciousness and did not regaining consciousness until after the accident. Witnesses reported seeing the airplane flying low prior to contacting the power lines. A mechanic at the last departure airport, reported the pilot taxied into the grass, then taxied 2/3 the way down the runway prior to taking off. The mechanic also stated the airplane remained at tree top level until it flew out of sight. The pilot did not have a current airman certificate. He was an insulin dependent diabetic and had heart bypass surgery two years prior to the accident. A review of the pilot' medical records failed to reveal a reason for his loss of consciousness. The pilot provided his post accident medical records to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) for review. The NTSB Medical Officer reviewed the records and spoke with the pilot's daughter who is a physician. The medical officer's report documents that the pilot was an insulin dependent diabetic and that he had coronary bypass surgery two years prior to the accident. Emergency room records indicate the pilot had a temperature of 101.7 degrees F, a pulse of 105, and an oxygen saturation (from pulse oximetry) of 88 percent. Urinalysis and urine culture revealed a urinary tract infection. The NTSB Medical Officers report states that discussions with the pilot's daughter revealed, "A specific etiology for the pilot's unusual behavior in the days preceding and on the day of the crash has not been identified." Post accident inspection of the airplane failed to reveal any mechanical failure/malfunction.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The pilot became incapacitated (unconscious) for undetermined reasons which resulted in his inability to maintain altitude.

Full narrative available

Index for Sep2004 | Index of months