NTSB Identification: CHI01LA048.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
Accident occurred Friday, December 15, 2000 in HARRISBURG, IL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 10/23/2001
Aircraft: Socata TBM 700, registration: N45PM
Injuries: 2 Minor,2 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators may have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The airplane was damaged when it impacted the ground while performing a GPS approach in instrument weather conditions. The aircraft was on the third GPS approach attempt when the accident occurred. The pilot said that the runway, "...was sighted at about 3/4 of mile and [at] MDA. The [runway] lights were in sight and I had a good clear view of the [runway]... Everything looked fine visually until just before the accident. As we neared the [runway] it became apparent that the [runway] was rising in the window. I added power to stop the descent, however, there was a significant delay (much longer than normal) in the response of the engine. The engine finally spooled and at that moment a gust lifted the right wing and the left wing dropped, I corrected but there was not enough altitude and the left wing impacted the ground." The pilot said that he, "... had logged the engine parameters on this flight since the engine just had a compressor wash and everything indicated the engine was performing, as it should." The minimum descent altitude for the approach is 364 feet above the elevation of the airport. The Automated Weather Observing System at the destination airport recorded the sky condition as 200 feet overcast with a visibility of 1 1/2 statute miles. The winds were recorded as 080 degrees at 3 knots. No preexisting anomalies were found with respect to the aircraft.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The pilot not attaining the proper glidepath on the instrument approach. The pilot's decision not to fly to an alternate airport and his decision to continue the approach in weather conditions below the published minimums were contributing factors.

Full narrative available

Index for Dec2000 | Index of months