NTSB Identification: ANC99FA012A
Scheduled 14 CFR operation of ASIANA AIRLINES (D.B.A. ASIANA )
Accident occurred Wednesday, November 11, 1998 in ANCHORAGE, AK
Probable Cause Approval Date: 04/20/2000
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400, registration: HL741
Injuries: 1 Minor,249 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The Boeing 747-400 was taxiing to Gate N-6, after landing on runway 6R. The flight crew reported to the tower that braking action on the runway was poor. While taxiing to the parking ramp, the captain commented to the first officer that the airplane was skidding. As the airplane approached Gate N-6, ground personnel observed the airplane's nosewheels turn 90 degrees toward the gate, but the airplane continued straight ahead, skidding the nosewheels sideways. Ground personnel heard, and the Flight Data Recorder confirmed, an increase in engine power as the airplane continued past the gate. The airplane was then observed turning right, away from the terminal, and colliding with a parked IL-62M airplane. A cleaning person aboard the IL-62M received minor injuries when she was knocked down by the collision. The crew told the NTSB investigator-in-charge that they did not use brakes until attempting to turn away from the parked airplane. Ground witnesses described the taxi speed as "faster than normal." The maximum ground speed recorded by the on-board recorders was 16 knots. The company flight manual states, in part: "(1) Turning... 10 knots or below (5 knots if wet or slippery)." Snow contamination was recorded by the airport authority commencing 11 hours prior to the accident. The airport "Snow Removal Plan" denotes the lead-in lines to the terminal as a Priority 1-A area. Continuous snow removal operations were being conducted at the time of the accident, with all Priority 1 areas, and numerous Priority II areas being plowed and treated. The lead-in taxi lines to the terminal had been sanded five hours prior to the accident. The ramp area, and the lead-in taxi lines had not been plowed. One hour after the accident, about 2 inches of unbroken snow was on the ramp.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The excessive taxi speed by the pilot-in-command. A factor associated with the accident was the pilot's inadequate maneuver to avoid the parked airplane.

Full narrative available

Index for Nov1998 | Index of months